Discover more from WorkWithAI.com's Daily Newsletter
April 10-14 AI Wrap Up Pt. 1
🌯 The Weekend AI Wrap Up Pt.1 🌯
In case you missed anything here’s the quick recap of this week's top News, Funding, and Content.
Thanks as always and enjoy the weekend,
The Work With AI Team
📰 This Week's Top Stories
- AI Developers face Server Shortage at AWS, Microsoft, Google (link)
- New York City Adopts Final Rules on Automated Decision-making Tools, AI in Hiring (link)
- SV Angel to convene tech execs on AI policy (link)
- Announcing OpenAI’s Bug Bounty Program (link)
- Biden administration is trying to figure out how to audit AI (link)
- Free Dolly: Introducing the World's First Truly Open Instruction-Tuned LLM (link)
- Nvidia enhances mid-range video gaming chip with AI technology (link)
- Announcing New Tools for Building with Generative AI on AWS (link)
- First-of-its-kind open source project brings your animated drawings to life (link)
- Stable Diffusion XL (link)
- Introducing Text-Based Editing in Premiere Pro, Properties panel in After Effects, and much more (link)
- Schumer lays groundwork for Congress to regulate AI (link)
- A responsible path to generative AI in healthcare (link)
💰 Funding News
Tonal, an advanced strength and personal training platform that uses AI combined with digital weight technology and expert-led coaching, raised $130 million in a funding round led by existing investors, including L Catterton (Jon Owsley, Managing Partner), Cobalt, Dragoneer, Kindred Ventures, and THVC.
CryptoGPT, a zero-knowledge layer 2 blockchain company, has raised $10 million in a Series A funding round led by DWF Labs, with a $250 million valuation.
Nimble is an autonomous logistics and AI robotics company that uses machine learning to train its AI brain to handle products with swappable grippers effectively. They have raised $65 million in a Series B funding round led by Cedar Pine.
AlphaSense, a market intelligence and search platform, announced a $100 million addition to its $225 million Series D financing round, bringing its valuation to $1.8 billion, with investments from CapitalG (James Luo, Partner), Goldman Sachs Asset Management, and Viking Global Investors.
Infogrid, a leader in smart building technology with a focus on sustainability, has raised $90 million in Series B funding, along with an additional $30 million in debt facilities, from investors including SoftBank Vision Fund 2, Original Capital, Northzone, TVC, and JLL Spark.
Carbon Robotics, a leader in AI-powered robotics, has raised $30 million in Series C financing from new lead investor Sozo Ventures along with existing investors Anthos Capital, Fuse Venture Capital, Ignition Partners, Liquid2, and Voyager Capital.
Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation has made an undisclosed, strategic investment in Raspberry Pi Ltd. at a $500 million evaluation to enhance the development of edge AI solutions.
Companion, the first-ever AI-powered interactive device for dogs, has raised an additional $6 million in funding from Lerer Hippeau (Ben Lerer, Managing Partner) and Digitalis Ventures, bringing their total funding to over $14 million.
ClimateAi, a company that uses AI to help climate-proof the economy and improve livelihoods, has announced the successful closure of its Series B fundraising round, raising $22 million from new investors Four Rivers Group, as well as existing investors Radical Ventures, Neotribe Seed Fund, and Academy Investor Network.
Cardinality.ai has raised $12.5 million in a Series B investment round led by Boathouse Capital, along with other investors, to accelerate the development and expansion of their AI SaaS solutions for the public sector.
🔥 Hot Content
1. ChaosGPT is a purposefully misaligned AI with the objectives of “destroying humanity”, “establishing global dominance”, and “attaining immortality”. Sounds like an easy way to cause a global disaster. Thankfully, it didn’t get very far and we’re all still here. Check out this VICE article on it.
2. Marques Brownlee put together an awesome comparison between Google’s chatbot Bard and Microsoft’s chatbot Bing. Bing is clearly ahead of the game but it seems like Bard has been improving behind the scenes and provided more coherent answers than I think many of us would have expected.
3. Two Minute Papers made an excellent breakdown of Microsoft's research on GPT-4 and AGI and what it could mean for the future of AI (and potentially AGI)!
4. Brookings put together an informative podcast about how generative AI is emerging in the workplace and what it could mean for workers in various industries. This episode of TechTank seeks to answer the question on so many people’s minds: Will Generative AI Kill Jobs?
5. Greylock partners Reid Hoffman and Seth Rosenberg discuss how AI is revolutionizing the financial services industry with Ramp CEO and co-founder Eric Glyman. They explore how machine learning is helping fintech companies like Ramp automate and improve expense management, payments, reporting, and more. All the incredible innovations in business software and the introduction of AI tools have certainly made it a great time to be an entrepreneur!
6. Nick Bostrom, a professor at the University of Oxford and director of the Future of Humanity Institute, discusses the recent developments in machine superintelligence and what it could mean for the future. As AI continues to improve, it presents several existential risks like the alignment problem. But if it is handled correctly, it could result in an intelligence boom and solve many of humanity's oldest problems.
7. Amanda Wasielewski, author of Computational Formalism, joins the Practical AI podcast to discuss the overlap that has been created between art historians and computer scientists and how generative AI is becoming an incredibly important tool that may redefine many artistic mediums.
8. Investing legend Warren Buffett provided his impression of AI, stating that it’s extraordinary but he’s not sure if it’s beneficial yet.
9. Lex Fridman sat down with Max Tegmark, physicist and AI researcher at MIT, co-founder of the Future of Life Institute, and author of Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence, to discuss the 6-month pause on large AI experiments.
That's all for today's email! If you want more please follow us at the social channels linked below, or check out our website!
Share our newsletter: If you like our work please share/forward this email with your friends, colleagues, and family. It's the best way to support us!
If this email was forwarded to you please sign up here to continue receiving them.
Want your content, product, jobs, or event featured in our newsletter? Reply to this email with the details, and our team will reach out to you.
Do you use AI for work? Tell us how, and you could be featured in our newsletter!
Check out our website for more resources, including a list of AI investors, products, events, and twitter follows.
For an archive of all our posts, click here.
We'd love to hear from you! You can always leave us comments or feedback by replying to this email!