AI Deep Fakes of Joe Biden and Candidate Dean Phillips affect NH Primary
Plus Eleven Labs raises $80M
📰 News: AI Deepfakes of Joe Biden and Presidential Candidate Dean Phillips affect NH Primary
💰 Funding: Eleven Labs raises $80M from Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia
⚡️ Top News Stories:
1. OpenAI suspended the account of a developer who created a bot mimicking Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Dean Phillips, marking its first action against AI misuse in a political campaign.
The bot, Dean. Bot, was developed by Silicon Valley entrepreneurs Matt Krisiloff and Jed Somers for a super PAC supporting Phillips, with funding from billionaire Bill Ackman.
Powered by OpenAI's ChatGPT, the bot was contracted through AI startup Delphi and was taken down following OpenAI's account suspension.
OpenAI's rules prohibit the use of its technology in political campaigns and impersonating individuals without consent.
The bot's use in the campaign raised concerns about the potential harm of AI technologies in elections, despite disclaimers clarifying it was an AI tool and not the actual Dean Phillips.
2. New Hampshire voters received robocalls using a deep-faked voice of President Joe Biden, urging them to skip the state's primary election.
Robocall fraud experts warn that this incident is just the beginning of a new era of AI-driven phone spam.
The deep-faked Biden voice was used in a scam involving a fictitious Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes.
Experts predict the 2024 presidential election will see the highest level of robocall activity, exacerbated by advanced AI technology.
The Federal Communications Commission faces challenges in combating these scams, as fraudsters can spoof phone numbers and bypass existing protocols.
3. OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is working to raise billions of dollars to establish a network of factories for semiconductor manufacturing.
4. Nightshade, a new free software tool from a team at the University of Chicago, allows artists to "poison" AI models training on their works, and is now available for download and use.
5. Figure has signed a commercial deal to deploy its general-purpose humanoid robots at BMW's manufacturing plant in South Carolina.
6. An MIT CSAIL study suggests there will be slower AI job displacement than previously predicted, finding that only 23% of wages paid for vision tasks would be economically attractive to automate with AI.
7. The U.S. DOJ and FTC are in negotiations to determine which agency will investigate OpenAI and Microsoft's partnership on antitrust grounds.
8. Microsoft's Bing has seen limited market share growth despite ChatGPT integration.
💰 Top Funding News:
1. ElevenLabs, the AI voice tech research company specializing in natural speech synthesis, raised a $80M Series B co-led by Andreessen Horowitz, Nat Friedman, Daniel Gross, and joined by Sequoia Capital, Smash Capital, SV Angel, BroadLight Capital, and Credo Ventures.